Friday, August 14, 2009

Update






Wow, it's been a long time since I wrote on this information medium. Anyways, here it goes. I'll start with my non-soccer adventures once again since, there really hasn't been much going on here...unfortunately. Ha, I don't even know where to start it's been so long. Okay, so after the castles, it's bascially been a long running tourist show with my Aunt and my Cousins Bernd and Simone. One of the more "American" things that I have done since being here was to visit the Concentration Camp at Dachau.
This was an awesome experience and was filled of countless emotions and revelations into the 5th grade student that was Brian Byrne. As Americans, we are constantly shown videos, pictures, primary sources and other historical anecdotes to the atrocity that was Hitler's Third Reich. Every american thinks they know what an interment camp is/was. However, until you experience it in real life, and take the countless images of slain victims from WW2 and have them peiced together in front of your eyes, and allow your memories take over your senses...you have no idea. Seeing the unused "showers" the Barracks where 40,000+ lived the final stages of their lives in wooden crates was unreal.
The crematoriums are definitely a creepy sight and just to have all this stuff actually in front of you makes you feel a differnt way than you did in class. To be honest, and this is a bit obvious...the blog isn't going to do any justice so I'll just end it here..I went to a concentration camp, it was sad, emotional and information filled. Here are some pics

No comments:

Post a Comment