Monday, August 17, 2009

Family Trip! Family Trip!






So, I've been here now for the last 6 weeks. I miss everyone back home...from my parents and family, to my girlfriend and friends. However, what this trip has also allowed me to do is see what family really means. I have a great family at home and understand that my immediate family and the Velinski family is what I have had surrounding me my entire life. They have been my family for my entire life. Nevertheless, I have been blessed to have family all around the world, from South Florida, to Portland, to Spain, Germany and Ireland. Obviously, it begins to get tough when you see the brothers and sisters of your parents only 1 once or twice a year if that..however my family overseas...that's another story. Until this trip, I have seen Bernd and Simone a total of 3 times between them. I do not even remember the first time I saw either, however I did see Bernd in Jamaica for my sisters wedding two years ago. Simone and I basically met when I got here. However, the Baumgartner family has allowed me to realize despite the number of miles, the distance between, and years of separation family is still family. We have adopted eachother into a large estranged family that enjoys one another company and has grown into a larger family of sorts.
I have travel everything and anywhere with Aunt Amparo, Bernd, Simone, Alex, Marcela, Alyssia and Co. It's been great getting to see things with them and finally get to know and understand each one of them. Lately, the Bernd Clan and I have traveled to water and amusement parks, and began our adventures in Knippeing. First, we traveled to SkyLine Park which is a smaller version of six flags. However it really is the perfect amusement park for me. I hate standing in lines for 3 hours and getting on a 30 second ride. The rides at Skyline are good enough to have a great time and the lines never exceed 30-40 minutes...if they even get that long. The Park wasn;t very crowded for the two days we were there, and each ride was quick enough to go on and move on. The rides range from roller coasters, to a bungee ball ride called the Sky Shot. By far, one of the most heart pounding experiences of my life. There is something about a bunch of springs and strings holding together your life that gets me. The funny thing is, while I am not nearly as composed on these rides as my cousin, he is the exact opposite of me on roller coasters. He hates nuts and bolts, I hate strings and springs. Anyways, After the two visits to the amusement park, we headed to an indoor/outdoor swimming park, Galaxy Erding. It has all the slides and rides you would expect, but all inside. In fact it is home to two Guinness book World Records, for distance. The plaques are on the walls, so that was col to see. It was my first experience doing something like this in maybe 10 years, so to say the least I was very excited. The pool was home to the largest tube slide in Europe, nearly 400 meters long. Once again, the rides very very fun and not nearly as packed as some of the lines that I am used to in the US, so to me it was a cake walk and a great experience. I am lucky to have Bernd offer me these trips and make my trip that much more enjoyable. After each of these long days, your feet are understandably tired. We all know the feelings of coming home after a full day on your feet, and you need nothing more than a message. Enter Kneipping, defined technically as the"Kneipp Cure", or a form of hydrotherapy, a system of healing involving the application of water through various methods, temperatures and pressures. Sebastian Kneipp founded the process of healing by water when working in the fields all day. With a swollen foot, he had scheduled an appointment to see the doctor. Prior to the visit the next day, he worked in the fields. His feet, surrounded by damp water all day were healed when he woke the next day. Basically what this is in today's terms is a walking pool, as shown in the picture, when you walk with one leg in the water at a time. The water is cold, and filtered throughout the day. Imagine taking a slightly warm ice bath for your legs. You do about 2 or three circuits around the pool which measures probably 30 or 40 yards in length. Then, surrounding the Kneipp pool is a series of "sandbox" type structures. Each box differs from pure sand, cork, shredded plastic pieces, protruding rocks or wooden planks. Each aims to stimulate the senses in your feet, and is a welcome end to a long day of walking. By the end of the experience you feel completely rejuvenated and any sign of being tired or fatigued is relatively gone. To be honest, its something I will explore when I come home, to either build or find...if possible. The states could completely use something like this. Also, i would have definitely done this each day before a game if I had it in my backyard. It's become a past time of ours now, as we go 3-4 times a week. It's been great spending time with everyone. After all of these activities we also go back to Bernds house and play some Wii. I'm the Hula King...
As you can notice, there has not been much discussion about soccer lately. There has not been much going on. I was supposed to head up to Schalke 04 II this Tuesday but that got pushed back until next week, We are still waiting to hear from anyone in Ireland and any possible Agents. It;s a bit frustrating and I find myself becoming more and more homesick and missing those who are important to me. It would be different if things were actively going on, but this stalemate makes it harder and harder. We will stay strong and try things as they come...

Anyways, I'm Out.
Miss You All...
Brian


See, this is a late night snack made by my Aunt...awesome family

No comments:

Post a Comment