Monday, June 22, 2009

Day of Departure


So, plenty of people have asked me to keep them updated on my travels and to inform them of how things are going while I'm overseas. I figured starting a blog would be the best way to allow people into my life during this remarkable and unpredictable voyage and that Tweeting just isn't my style. First of all, I want to say thank you to my parents, especially my Dad. Without their support and relentless work, this trip would have never happened and this opportunity never afforded. So, thank you Mom and Dad, I Love you and I thank you for everything go have a relaxing day at the pool and drink a beer or gin and tonic for me. Next, I need to thank our family friend Christian Helber...he has helped us out plenty and is really the voice between the two ends right now, so thank you Christian. Also, I'd like to thank everyone else for actually caring and taking the time to read this. Knowing that I have people in my life that really care and want the best for someone in my situation really allows one to see the beauty and necessity of friendship, so thanks everyone...go on and give yourself a pat on the back, maybe even buy yourselves something special like a Shamwow or Snuggie...btw the Snuggie is awesome. I guess I should start by mentioning why this blog is even in place. I am headed to Vienna Austria for a 7-day trial with Rapid Vienna of the Austrian Bundesliga. Depending on how this trial goes, I could find myself stationed in Vienna on a longer basis, or I could become a vagabond of the european soccer world itself. Anyways, I leave later today for Munich, Germany the capital of Bavaria. Not only is Munich one hell of a historical and beautiful place, but it is one of the only places on Earth to recognize beer as a staple food; not an alcoholic beverage. Europe just has it's head on it's shoulders. Right now, I simply have a wide range of feelings towards the day and journey ahead, from excitement to fear... it spans the whole way around. From mixing it up on the field with guys who have accomplished so much and played at the highest level, to tackling the rigors of temporarily living in a country where we Americans tend to mess up our words, it's going to be quite interesting. Nevertheless, this is going to be an awesome time and something I will be able to look back upon in the years ahead and say to myself, thank god I did that, it was one crazy ride. Anywho, once I arrive, I'll finally get to see my Aunt Amparo, one of my Mom's wonderful sisters whom I rarely get to see, and spend time in her city of Augsburg. It will be great to see family that I rarely get a chance to really spend quality time with. From there, I will head to Christians hometown to train with a team before I head to Vienna to begin my first trial. I hope to get as much sightseeing in as I can, while staying focused. To finish this initial posting, I just wanted to let everyone know that I'll try and post as much as I can and put up pictures, video etc...to keep everyone informed. So feel free to check back here at any time and if you have any questions or suggestions for what I should see...let me know! Once, again thanks for everyone checking in and have a great day/night/week/sleep.
Brian
"Hold your own, know your own name, go your own way."

3 comments:

  1. Show em how we do it at the LUC son. I'm proud of you man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOOOOVE you and are so proud of you our miracle brother! Obviously the emotional influx of realizing mt son is now 1 is causing me to reminisce about u and tear up...you're such a beautiful being of energy. We will pray for your health, your safety and for your eyes/heart to be receptive to all the amazing opportunities and experiences that lay ahead. Be sure to be in tune with your gut, make conscious decisions and have NO REGRETS. Your journey will fly by and everything at home will be on a turtle pace. Do not worry about us here...we will all await your return w/open arms....but will be even more open at the opportunity to join u over there! Train w purpose, play w all you have smile at yourself and efforts. Blessings to you! Marlon, Raquel & JT

    ReplyDelete