Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Update...Finally

Here comes a long post............
Hey Everyone, sorry I have been slacking on the updates. Anyways, I hope that the last week have brought you bright days and happy stories. On Saturday I left Konigsbrunn for the beautiful town of Deggendorf. I first need to thank the Baumgartner family for everything they did for me. Thank you for the dinners, the beers but most importantly your hospitality. I met some remarkably nice and interesting people and saw the beauty of Germany first hand due to their kindness. It's so much harder now speaking to people that don't speak English due to the fact that I was speaking Spanish the majority of the time while there, but I guess it's ok as I am starting to pick up on very small German phrases. Bernd and I arrived around 6 after a speed filled drive that taught me what the Autobahn is all about. Christians house is really nice and big, very modern in a neighborhood that has a mix of old German homes and new European architecture, so it's very nice. Getting to see him and my 2nd cousin Tessa (she left today and got home safely which is good) was a good thing, seeing that I never really get to see them. Christian is expecting his second child in October with his girlfriend Diana, who is a really really nice person...and a great cook, I can already tell that this is going to be a pleasant stay. Saturday night led me to a local party for no, not Independence Day, but Canada Day. Yes, I spent our nations most patriotic holiday surrounded by and celebrating our neighbors to the North. It was actually a very nice party and I actually learned alot about professional sports over here in Germany, and the transition for people who have moved over here from other countries, so very useful information. Also, some of my expectations were met albeit for the first time...These Germans think the US sucks at soccer, well at least the ones at this party. They really thought that no one plays in the states and that we are far inferior than we really are. Basically I think they expected the US to be a kindergarten team (See: I already knew German) in a league of professionals. To be honest, it scared me for the upcoming practice and kind of put me on edge. Sunday, I woke up and headed over to the see Deggendorfs downtown for the first time. This entire area is covered in huge trees...seems fitting since this area is known as the Bavarian Forest. It really reminds me a lot of the Colorado vibe, which is perfect for me...I could totally see myself settling down here if the situation lent itself to that. Monday I began my official journey into the soccer world of Germany. I began training with a team called FC Bad Kotzting as I mentioned in my last post. The team in the BayernLiga, which is basically the 5th division here and one division lower than the league that would allow me to completely support myself comfortably with just a soccer paycheck. I was picked up by the head coach, a friend of Christians; Uli...who is a rough Springsteen look alike a look of a few less years. We drove up to practice through one of the most scenic drives I have ever had, the small villages that line the mountains and thick trees lines are really nice and just beam pleasant living. During the ride, we talked about the BayernLiga, the standard of US Soccer (which is brought up more and more) and America itself. He mentioned that he was full at the GK spot and had no money to give out, so I feel a bit more relaxed about the practice and knew I should just go out there and try to open a door with another team by word of mouth. Upon arriving to practice, the awkward "who the hell is that kid in the corner" situation took place and the non-intended "don't invite him to play or introduce yourself" stage occurred, which is one of the most unpleasant things one can go through. But after a short 10-15 minute period, a coach came and introduced himself and helped me into a game. Instantly I knew that I at least deserved the chance to be there. The squad was young, but full of good talent such as kids that grew up playing in the top youth divisions against top teams like Bayern Munich and the like. Others had spent plenty of time in Germany's second division (Bundesliga 2) and had some pretty accomplished stories. Practice consisted of some basic warm up and a lot of foot work, which I actually did well in...I knew that my feet would need to be used in Europe so I put a lot of time into it before I came here..and it paid off. After some GK fitness, I headed to do a bit more distribution and then got the call by the head coach...I was getting called into the practice...as a defender. Let's put it nicely...I kept getting turned like a page in a gossip magazine...but actually had fun. After a bit I got my chance to go in goal against the first team and did alright. I have had a lack of training for the last 2.5 weeks, so I am still getting into the swing of things. After feeling so-so about my practice, we headed home. After getting into conversation with the coach, he said he liked what he saw (which I took by surprise and I thought it was just ok) and kind of changed his "GK spot full" attitude a bit. A door may have been opened with the practice, so we will wait and see. It was a great experience and gave me a huge boost of confidence for the road ahead. Today (Tuesday), I headed to Christian's work (he is a huge distributor of Hockey apparel in Germany and has made quite the living for himself. I asked him if he needed anything done, and he did...cut the lawn. Now, I have had to mow the lawn at my old house, so if put in my hours behind and riding a mower. The lawn wasn't very big but there were two, make it three very distinct things about this job...the grass had not been cut in a while..at most points, it was over a foot high. To add to that...as I mentioned before, it has rained every day, so the grass was very wet. Finally, most mowers I have used push themselves pretty well..this has no self-driven motor and was an older mower, which meant more weight...especially when the bag was getting full. About a few hours I finally finished and felt pretty good about my short lived day. Tonight I headed to small town and trained with a small team (9th or so division) and had a good time with a good group of guys. It was good to get a bit more hand work in and just talk to people about the difference of American and European ball. Tomorrow, I head back out to Kotzting (so i think) and train again so I'm excited about that. The days ahead have many possible paths, from trips to Prague, to a new start of soccer life..so we will see which path is walked and what journey will be followed. Please, leave comments...I want to hear what you guys are thinking and how everything is going back home...
Hope all is well...
Miss you all...
Brian

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Very cool. Goodluck Brian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like good stuff. You made a bunch of comments about how people there think of US soccer as a bit of a joke, now that you have done some trainings, how do you think we compare? How different is the training session you desribed from the tryout you had with the Fire?

    Keep playin your game, some coach is sure to see your mind for the game and post ya up. Good luck ballar

    ReplyDelete